Thursday, April 9, 2009

Navigator's Log




The term “smooth sailing” has taken on a significant meaning to me now that I have been crossing the Atlantic Ocean for five days. I have heard many experienced passengers comment that this is the smoothest sailing they have ever experienced. Even the Captain said the same, and, further, we have been blessed with unparalleled weather.




I can see why sailors get the idea that they could cross this vast expanse of water in a small boat if they witnessed weather and slight waves like this.

Since I once flew airplanes where navigation is a critical skill, I was interested in how they calculated the ship’s course taking in consideration the winds, the current, and the speed of the ship. So, I sat in on a session given by Joe, the Navigator. (His name really is Joe.)



They have a contest every day to see who can come closest to calculating what the ship’s position will be at noon. I didn’t enter the contest. I think one man has won each time.



We are now four hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time. We advance our clocks an hour ahead again tonight. Obviously, adjusting to the time change one hour at a time is much easier than coping with 5 hours of jet-lag. We



The Captain has been moving between 18.5 and 19.6 knots. So far, here are the distance we have sailed:



We have this much yet to go before arriving at Lisbon:


Tomorrow around noon, we will be passing within 1 ½ miles of the southernmost island of the Azores, Santa Maria.


The ocean depth has varied from 1266 feet to over 5000 feet. It is quite mountainous beneath us. The waves, on the other hand, have been slight—only 1.5 to 4 feet, until today. The wind has picked up a bit, so the waves are now from 4.5 to 7 feet. The north wind has brought a little cooler weather. It is now 64 degrees. It has been consistently 68 degrees.

Conditions couldn’t be more perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Well, chica. We had 40 in Orlando day before yesterday and hurricane winds. I'm jealous. Everything here is OK. I am glad you are having goog weather. Keep on sailing!!!

    ReplyDelete