Tuesday, April 21, 2009

In port in Dubrovnik

We are docked in Dubrovnik today. I had not purchased any shore excursions since I had toured this interesting city and surrounding area quite extensively in 2007. 


Here are some photos I took during that visit.  The first one is a overview of the old part of the city.





Here is looking back the opposite direction from inside the city out to through the marina.





The belltower/clocktower looms over the city with marina in background.





This is a view of the setting sun through one of the windows in the wall that surrounds the old city.




I am glad I didn't go ashore today since it is raining.  It was raining the first day I visited in 2007, too.  The rain glistens on the white marble walkways in the city, giving it quite a different "feel" than when the sun is shining on the buildings as shone above.






 So, this rainy day was a perfect day to do the more quiet things offered on board. I read some this morning, then I took in a movie at noon. The ship shows current feature films every day three times a day. They even serve popcorn. This is the first one I took advantage of.

I went to High Tea which is served everyday from 3 to 4 p.m. The waiter asked if I would mind sharing a table, and this interesting man joined me. He is the new priest on board. The one who had been with us for the first tour disembarked in Rome, and this one came on board there.



He has been studying in Rome since February. He told me about his studies, his Holy Week experiences at the Vatican, and a little about his parish and school. He is a diocesan priest from Minneapolis. His former bishop is a priest that I knew from the Diocese of Albany. We had a delightful conversation over Earl Grey, tea sandwiches, scones, and little sweets.

It was a soft day, as the Irish say.

No comments:

Post a Comment