Monday, October 7, 2013

Saguenay, Quebec

Just 120 miles north of Quebec City is Saguenay, Quebec, which lies inland of the sea on the Saguenay River.

 
There’s not much here, here. What you see below is about it. But it is lovely.




The city was based on its research and hydroelectric power plants. Not much else happening. So, it opened its port to cruise ships in 2008 to bring in some tourist money (and a little excitement, I guess.)



What it had to offer were things like a drive through the farm land, or a 2 hour hike after an hour’s ride in a school bus to view the fjord, or sea kayaking. As I said, there’s not much here, here. What you see below is about it. But it is lovely.


Since a lot of the tourists on board are geriatric and maybe not up to some of these activities, the locals said, like Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland used to say, “Let’s put on a show!”



And so—some 200 local actors and a host of animals come together to present a two-hour musical production complete with fireworks, canon blasts, and audio-visual spectaculars telling the history of the Saguenay region. And they call it, “La Fabuleuse Cultural Show.” I chose not to go. Price of admission is $75…a little steep.



I had opted for “A Stroll in the Park”, but it sold out before I could get a ticket. Sorta glad it did, because it is a cold and blustery day. Notice the flags at salute…
 





As a result, I’m straying on board, reading, looking at the quaint village from the ship, and waiting for the satellite to cooperate so I can post this blog.


(BTW, I paid $175 for 500 minutes. The satellite has NOT been cooperative. We have been down more than on. I had better, more consistent connections in the middle of the Atlantic! Trying to chill out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment