Monday, October 14, 2013

Bar Harbor, Maine


 
Sailing down east from Nova Scotia, we arrived at Bar Harbor.  We docked anchor off-shore requiring us to use tenders to go ashore.
I had booked an excursion to Acadia National Park, but it was cancelled because it was closed due to the Federal Government shut-down.

So, I hopped on one of the local tour trolleys for a nice one hour drive around the island, stopping to look at Frenchman Bay, passing by a number of old houses, and seeing Cadillac Mountain from a distance.

 
Back in town, I treated myself to a delicious lobster lunch.

 
 
After which, I walked around this upscale town looking into specialty stores and galleries which line the main streets.  One of them named after me.

 
I sat in the park enjoying the brilliant, cool autumn weather with the locals and watching boats in the harbor.

 
I am convinced that October is the best month to travel…fewer tourists, cooler weather, and slower pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment