Sunday, December 30, 2012

Learning at Sea

The distance from San Diego to the Panama Canal is 3,440 miles. And from Panama City through the canal to Ft. Lauderdale is about 1,150 miles. The main attraction, of course, is cruising through the Panama Canal.

As you can see from the itinerary below, there are relatively few ports of call which means there are several days at sea.

 
I love being at sea. It is so relaxing just to sit and look at ocean at sunrise, or mid-day, or sunset.
 
 
 

I saw a golden, full moon rise a couple of nights ago. I do some sea-watching, deck sitting every day. Sometimes I also catch a nap; sometimes I read. There really is something about the sea air…


I also learn a lot when we are sailing. So far, I have attended all of the lectures by our travel guide, the anthropologist about the textiles and jade, and the shopping guide (who is from Orlando interestingly enough). The information they have provided has been very helpful.


I have also attended some of the digital workshops that are provided every day.




I didn’t think I would need them, but I was curious to see how “Techspert” John presented the information. 


Even though I think I know a lot about photo editing, I sat in on his workshop explaining how to do it using the Windows Live Gallery. I had never used this program since I employ Picasa for viewing, organizing, and editing my photos.


I learned a lot in his one hour presentation. Windows Live Gallery is very powerful and is free and is part of the package Windows Live Essentials 2011. I had downloaded this package before this cruise in order to use Windows Live Writer to prepare this blog off-line as I explained in an earlier post. There are some features in Gallery (which is also on my Android phone) that are not on Picasa, so I now have more options to work with.


John is a great presenter, and I have attended several of his workshops.
 


1 comment:

  1. Once a great teacher, always a great learner!

    I'm glad you are relaxing and enjoying it all! Happy New Year, Gail!

    ReplyDelete